Monday, October 20, 2014

Sailing

No blog on Friday for three reasons: 1) it was a shortened day because of the potluck dinner that evening, 2) I stayed a couple of extra hours to get caught up and actually fell further behind and 3) by the time I got home to Seattle I was too tired. Some quick notes about Friday's classroom session. It was a session on the power jointer and the planer given by Peter (more on Peter later). Peter is a no nonsense straightforward passionate type of guy (he's exactly what you picture a boat builder would be). He started off by reminding us that these tools can and will maim. The jointer is used to flatten the face of a board. The planer is used to set the thickness of a board. Peter is the first instructor to actually turn the machines on in the classroom and demonstrate how they are used! The one thing I will take away is that you put stock "over" the jointer and "through" the planer. During my time in the shop that afternoon I continued to work on the mallet handle and had hoped to get checked off on my mitered bridle joint. Unfortunately that didn't happen and turns out I have to start all over again. So as of today I still need to finish a mitered bridle and the carlins. Which takes me to my weekend project of building a bench in the garage so that I will be able to do some "homework" on the weekends. It exactly didn't get done (mainly because I forgot my cordless drill at school), so I guess it will have to wait until next weekend.

Today was actually a pretty good day. Morning session was on Basic Sailing and Rigs, and again was taught by Peter. He asked the class how many people considered themselves experienced sailors, how many have sailed before and how many have no clue about sailing. I didn't raise my hand. Not sure why, probably because I don't consider myself a sailor from my fooling around with the laser's at The Citadel and our sunfish. Peter went over some basic sailing maneuvering, parts of the sail and types of different sails. He gave a slide show on all kinds of different sailboats and rigs from all over the world. Then he showed us a film...but first I need to tell a little about Peter. I don't really know him at all (but I hope to). He is one of the two instructors for the small craft program, so if I stay in that program there is 50/50 chance I would get him as an instructor. What I do know is that he apprenticed under Donlon Arques in Sausalito, CA (the Arques School is named after him and where I would really love to do an apprenticeship), worked at Mystic seaport, did a bunch of other things and then spent 10 years in Hollywood building boats for all three Pirates of the Caribbean movies, among others! So the film he showed us was made by him when he was in film school and shows him on his sailboat, Bertie, on a voyage from San Francisco to British Columbia in search of Allen & Sherri Farell and their boat, China Cloud. To say that that the Farell's were interesting and unique is a vast understatement and you can really see why Peter has a fond attraction for them. Boat Building and sailing is more than a hobby or occupation to these people...it is a way of life. When watching the film certain words came to mind. Freedom. Independence. Simplicity. Very powerful stuff. I hope that my journey going forward will reveal a little bit of each.

A highly suggest that if you have a few minutes watch the film (it's in three parts) and a video about the Farrel's:

Allen Farrell, CHINA CLOUD, BERTIE and Chinese junk rig at sea
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw6mdrcDL1o
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFb3AfxxgO0
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIBDOUSd-Ag

Allen Farrell: Boat Builder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O52F8yYPSw

In the shop today I continued to work on the mallet. One quick note. The right tool does make the job easier. I am so glad that I bought a 1/2" mortise chisel this weekend because I was able to make quick work of the mortise in the mallet head. I then finished up the handle and cut two slots at the top. With the handle inserted into the mallet handle I added a little glue and three hand cut wedges. The mallet handle and head will not separate in my lifetime at least! Some finish up work tomorrow and I'm done. We had a quick demonstration and discussion on rabbet's (no, not the little furry kind that you put into stew) which are grooves where the planks intersect with the centerline timbers (stem, keel, etc.). More on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment