Wednesday, October 15, 2014

More wood?

In the last two days I've learned more about wood than I will probably need to know for the rest of my life. Our instructor probably knows more about wood then the trees in the forest do. Did I mention that Ray is definitely made from old growth wood? The discussion today included; marine plywood, wood buying, board feet, grades of wood and the advantages/disadvantages of hardwood vs. softwood.

In the shop we started our next project which is to make a mallet. Simple enough. Not really. In order to complete this project we had to tune and sharpen our flat spokeshave to carve the handle for the mallet. Not much accomplished today as our time with the bandsaw was limited.

I did complete several projects and actually feel for the first time that I am caught up. Completed a bevel board which is a tool used to transfer the degrees of a bevel. The school unlike most places uses a master bevel board which hangs on the wall in the shop. The bevel board I made corresponds directly to the master. This is so everyone in the school is using the same degree of bevel, whether on a piece of a boat or at the bandsaw, etc. Not a bad idea. I also completed both the common bridle and mitered bridle. Not too shabby for a day's work. Tomorrow will be completely focused on the mallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment