Friday, October 10, 2014

One week

Five days. One week. Wow that went by fast. Friday was another full day. Morning lecture was on the tabletop saw. I have to say I'm glad that the school has invested in the SawStop. Please google it and watch the video of the inventor putting his finger into the saw blade. Enough said. The rest of the morning was spent at the bench working on joints. I'm almost finished with the Bridle Half-lap and hope that I can complete it on the first try.

Our first field trip was in the afternoon to the Port Townsend Boat Yard. The highlight of the facility is the 300 ton Marine Travelift which is one of the largest on the West Coast. We then visited both Haven Boat Works and The Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-op. Both amazing shops that specialize in wooden boats; commercial fishing boats, yachts, power and sail. They both have great full service shops including large ships saw! Two interesting observations. Most if not all of the people we met were graduates of the school. Second, everyone had a metal "Craftsman" or "Snap-on" tool chest on their bench. I was very disappointed to say the least. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks a proper wooden hand built tool chest is the only thing that belongs on a shipwrights bench? My guess is that they just never had the time or did they struggle with fine woodworking as much as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment