Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bench time

I'm sure most people would not believe that standing at a bench and cutting joints in wood for seven hours is less tiring than sitting at a desk and staring into a computer screen.  I wouldn't have bet money on it. The reality is I could have spent several more hours and would have only complained when they told me to go home.  Yes, my back is a little sore right now but it is healed by each achievement made today on a two and half inch wide piece of pine. Half-lap. Mitered Half-Lap. Half Dovetail Half-Lap. Are my joints perfect? Not even close. It is said that wood is a living thing. I now believe that to be true as it felt like I was engaged in a day long battle attempting to impose my will on a piece of wood. It's way too early to claim victory. For now...I will settle on a draw and live to fight another day.

What I learned today:

1. Definition of KERF
- a slit or notch made by a saw
- the width of cut made by a saw

2. Definition of SCARF
- either of the chamfered or cutaway ends that fit together to form a scarf joint
- an in-line joint made by chamfering, halving, or notching two pieces to correspond and lapping them

Bruce's Rules for Layout
1. One line. Really I mean it...only one line!
2. Cut to the line.
3. All layout with the same measuring device.
4. Keep the line to the left when cutting if possible.
5. For a long line...roll the pencil.
6. Always have your TriSquare with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment