Wednesday, October 29, 2014

More dovetails

No blog entry for Tuesday as it was pretty much a continuation of the day before. Dovetails. Dovetails. And more dovetails. Other than dovetails, we did spend the last two days on the table saw going over the setup and use. I am pretty comfortable ripping, crosscutting (with the use of a sled) and even dado cutting. Today I used the table saw to cut stock for the next project which is the Shoulder Toolbox. Nothing fancy just a rectangular box to carry tools in to a job site. The pine stock we are using is not the best so I carefully laid out the pieces on a 12 foot board to avoid knots or cupping and to make use of the best grain available. The pieces comprise the two sides, two ends and the bottom. The plan is to dovetail the sides and ends, and then cut a dado for the bottom. An additional dado at the top will hold a small sliding till. Like I said nothing too fancy. I was kinda disappointed that this is our project to finish out basic woodworking (as compared to a more traditional shipwrights chest) but realize that a) we do not have the time available and b) I currently lack the skills to do anything more ambitious. On a side note...I think sometime later in the year and closer to graduation (assuming I make it that far and I have developed the skills), I would like to take on building a proper shipwrights chest. For the time being (and assuming I can make dovetails that look good), I have some ideas for finishing out the toolbox: a holder for chisels and other tools, a saw till for my Japanese saws and finishing it with some green milk paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment